Amazon

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Velveteen Rabbit

Nightmares and still cry even when I think about it. I wont ever own it or read to any child because of what it does to me.

The Velveteen Rabbit, I swear is one of the worlds saddest children's books.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/628169387/a-little-golden-book-the-velveteen





I had the exact book in the photo above.

Its about a toy rabbit that becomes a real rabbit. That isn't the horrible part. This boy gets the bunny for Christmas but ignores it for better toys and the bunny gets tossed aside. Well it just so happens later on the boy loves this toy and it goes everywhere with him they become best friends. The boy gets very very sick and the stuffed bunny never leaves his side. Well the doctor orders all this toys and room to be burned and disenfected including his favourite stuffed bunny.

The poor bunny is tossed into a sack and left in the garden where the boy and the rabbit spent most of their time having picnics and playing together, he cries and images the times they had together. The rabbit fairy comes and turns him into a real rabbit.

I don't know why this book has the memories it has, or why it has stuck with me my whole life. Or why I am even crying right now as I write this.

It's odd how some things from your childhood still effect you today.

What book did you read as a child that you hated or can't read again?

No comments:

Post a Comment