Amazon

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Stuffing Recipe

Do you have a family recipe that you have always used. Mainly because your grandmother used it and taught it to your mom and your mom taught it to you? Well in my case my grandmother (may she Rest In Peace) taught me the recipe and it has been one that we have always used for as long as I can remember.

My stuffing is made inside my turkey, I know, I know, such a rebel right? With all the information these days about only cooking your stuffing in the oven and never in your turkey, I do it the way my family has been doing it for well over 60 years.

I whole heartily believe that most things "we know better so we do better" but in this case we are more likely to get sick from onions than we are from my turkey cooked for 8 hours in the oven at 350 degrees, so I cook my stuffing in my turkey.

Sitting in my grandmothers kitchen the Christmas before her passing she was really sick and she sat on her walker in the kitchen dozing off making sure I am doing EVERYTHING to her standards. She wasn't her self. The cancer in her brain made her unpredictable and angry.

The years before sitting in her kitchen helping her make the dinners were full of laughs. Her and I would work into the wee hours of the night getting everything prepped then up at 5am to get the bird stuffed and in the oven. The later it got the more we laughed. The year I dropped the 40lbs turkey while trying to transfer it to the roasting pan. She just laughed and said 5 second rules applies to turkeys too, as we team worked this giant bird back into the sink for its second bath.




Bread Broken into pieces
Supplies

1 big bowl or the lid to your roasting pan (this is what I use)
1 onion (diced)
1 loaf of bread broken up into small pieces
1/2 an apple (peeled and diced)
2 stalk of celery (diced)
1 egg
1 box of stuffing mix (this is the secret ingredient)
Water as needed to squish the bread together

Support Local!


Step 1:
Put bread, diced onion, diced apple, diced celery, stuff mix, and the egg into the roasting pan lid.

Step 2:
Mix with your hands (nothing else will do). Add a little bit of water at a time to achieve balls small enough to fit into the rear of your turkey.

Step 3:
 Form balls of stuff and shove it into the turkey tooth pick it shut once full.
Stuffing Balls


 If you have extra stuff put it in the neck end under the skin and tooth pick shut.

With this recipe I have never had dry stuffing and it is always amazing!















I will never get to have these times again with my grandmother but I am blessed to have the memories with her that not many got too. I hope I am blessed enough to make these types of memories with my son as he grows!!!!

I would love to try your family recipes!!! So what is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment