Amazon

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

My first time

 After months of staring at them, worried and intimidated, it took the lack of fabric to finally dive into it.

I have the type of personality that if I am going to do something it must be something I can "master". Failure is not something that I do.

After a few hours of setting up and asking someone who has done this for 35 years and temps. Because I was not going to screw this up. I got it all set up.

At this point, our local fabric land was finally opening back up after what felt like an eternity of being closed. Masks were in high demand and fabric choices were in low supply.

I went into fabric land and bought 10 meters of 100% polyester. I had confidence. I told myself YOU WILL NOT SCREW THIS UP. It cost way too much to get it set up to blow it.

I decided it's small, it's a mask I got this. For months I had been reading and researching I GOT THIS!

I printed off my first print, I put it in the press for 60 seconds, but had my press set for vinyl pressing and it wasn't enough pressure. SIGH

This is how it looked, it was okay but I wasn't happy. 




Okay, let's fix this issue, we have an older than dirt heat press which means it is a pain in the rear to change the heat setting on and almost impossible to change the pressure setting and I surely wasn't going to change the pressure setting every time I needed to switch from vinyl to sublimation.

Solution: Add a folded piece of flannel that I am never going to use again to the bottom of the heat press this way I can remove it when I need to put something thicker than a mask in the heat press.

Put the temp 5 degrees lower than 400 and the vinyl won't melt, it will be good to go and I won't have to change it!!

Okay, heat press 390-395 degrees. Extra flannel on press for the pressure we are good to go.

Step 1) heat the press fully

Step 2) put parchment (butcher paper) on the flannel

Step 3) put your fabric on the parchment then your image then more parchment (You have to change the parchment with EVERY SINGLE PRESS yes it seems like a waste but you can't use the Teflon sheets you do for vinyl)

Step 4) close the press and set timmer for 60 seconds

Step 5) open press give it a second because dang it's hot (Imagine that right?)

Step 6) love it!!!

Now we don't have to worry about the fabric shortage we can just do it!




No comments:

Post a Comment