Amazon

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Clogged Print Heads

 

 

https://epson.ca/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/WorkForce-WF-7720-Wide-format-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CG37201

 

This won't apply to many of you if you don't have a printer or do sublimation.

In January 2020 I started the process of buying everything I need to start doing sublimation I was so excited.

Finally, when I built up the courage to actually put everything together and give it a try I became addicted.

I print every day so when they tell you that not printing every day will cause your print heads to clog that isn't true. For the past 2 days or so I have been fighting with my printer and it having a blocked magenta head.

A few months ago it was a black one. With a few hours of fighting and cleaning it, I got it fixed.

This one was a horrible block, it took me days of flushing it and letting it soak for it to actually clear, I was starting to think I was going to have to replace my not so cheap printer.

Today in the last-ditch effort I consulted Dr. Google. I came across a website that said to do something I had not tried before but figured it was worth it if it worked.

Now I am cheap I don't use or buy print head solutions. I use rubbing alcohol that I get from the dollar store. I buy 50% or higher compound.

I use the syringes that came with the ink when I ordered.

Qtips and cotton pads are something I use as well.

Steps:

1) Remove Cartridges

2) Check to make sure your cartridges actually have ink in them. Also, check and make sure they are primed and don't have air in them. (If there is air in them you can use your syringe and suck it out)

Stop here do a print head test to see if the problem is fixed. If nope onto the next

3) Remove cartridges

4) Soak a cotton round with the rubbing alcohol and squeeze it onto the head(s) that are clogged and leave it squished on it for an hour or two.  

5) Time-lapse for 2 hours. Clean up any excess liquid. Reinstall the cartridges, do a head check print.

At this point, I hope your good to go if not onto the next.

6) Turn the printer off then back on with the lid lifted. Unplug the printer mid startup with the cartridges sitting in the middle. This will make it so you can move the cartridges back and forth.

7) Remove the cartridges.

8) Where the cartridges normally sit you will see what looks like small sponges gently blot those with a paper towel, they might be super full.

9) Fold a paper towel up but keep it thin. Get it wet with warm water and rubbing alcohol (not soaking wet) and place it on the track, slide the print head over it.

10) For this step I had to jimmy rig something to work with it because I didn't have the special tube for it. I took the bottle lid to one of my refills that was the perfect size and placed it over the print head of the blocked colour. I put the syringe with rubbing alcohol in it and pushed it into the bottle lid that is fitted over the print head (i did order the right tube to do this so I will not have to jimmy rig it in the future).

Stop here do a print head test to see if the problem is fixed. If nope onto the next.
 I am thanking my lucky stars that this one worked for me.

11) Next is calling your local ink shop and seeing they do professional cleaning or just buying a new printer the choice is up to you!


Yes, it took until Step 10 to order to get my printer fixed and working again. It was a long process but for me worth it!

When you print every day, with clients waiting for orders it is really hard to be without your printer even for a day.

Please click this link for full details and pictures of everything.

I did order the proper tubes from amazon just to make my life easier for when this happens again, and yes in the sublimation world it is going to happen A LOT!

Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment