Amazon

Friday, May 23, 2014

Low income Spay/neuter program

We have an amazing new program for low income families in Sarnia, I went to the first fundraiser for the program. It was a spayghetti and no balls dinner is was a good event raised a bit of money for the program but no where near what they need to help the many families in need of the program. The program has been started and is run by the Sarnia Humane Society

There are about 1000 applicants for the program, how it works is you have to prove that you are low income and if approved you pay about $20.00 per pet and they get the much needed spay/neuter they need.

The amount of applicants streaming in was far more than they had planned for, I think, as now there is a waiting list until more funds become available.

I am hoping with more funds this program will be a great success and lessen the amount of animals "accidentally" getting pregnant, which in turn will decrease the amount of unwanted animals in our area. Until they get more funds though it seems like it is going to be a slow process.

In September, I am planning to host a vendor event with the funds from the vendors table fees, raffle table and $1.00 admittance fee all going to the the low income spay/neuter program. At this point I am sure any amount of help would be greatly appreciated. My hope is I can make the vendor event a yearly event, I would also like to do one for our local TNR program through Cat Chance whose funds and volunteers are also limited.





No comments:

Post a Comment