Amazon

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Basic Puppy Training (Ace)


I noticed as I was looking through my blog today that I never did write about Ace’s puppy training at Pet Smart (Sarnia Ontario Location). I am not sure why I never did this as it was a very enjoyable experience. It is a four week course once a week for 1 hour, Nicole was out trainer and she is just wonderful and really knows her stuff. I surprised at how well Ace took to it. He seemed to enjoy every moment of it. I found that he knew the difference between us just going to the store and going to the store to do the training. Once we walked in the training room door he got his game face on until it was play time. Ours was on Thursday nights from 6pm to 7pm each week we would show off what we worked on with our dog all week and then learn something new. Things that we learnt were: Sit, Down, Off, Leave It, Wait, Stay, Come, Drop it, and Leash techniques. Ace did very well in the course there were many weeks that he was her show dog. He picked up on everything very quickly of course with him still being a puppy there is lots we need to work on. He has the sit down to an art, Down we are working on he will down with the hand signal but not just the command, Off well he gets it and does well with it when it’s good for him lol, Leave It this is my favorite and Ace understands this one well I am glad this teach this it has saved Ace’s life as well as kept his staples from getting infected after being fixed. Saving his life: a bag of chocolate was dropped all over the floor as I said was “Leave it” and he didn’t touch it at all, his incision I was told not to allow him to lick it because it could become infected, or he could pull the staples out well the first day home I told him to leave it and he didn’t touch it for the week that the staples were in. Wait this is another one I love it keeps him from pulling me down the stairs he waits at the top until I say “Okay”, it also keeps him in the car until I get out and can get ahold of his leash. Stay this one he is good with kind of lol he stays when we are in the house working on it however outside not so much maybe one day we will get there. Come he is awesome with this one most of the time. Once in a while he takes off on me to visit the neighbor and well come don’t work but that’s another one we are working on. Drop it this one he was great with it at training he was the only one who got it right away and when I say right away I mean he got it with in the first two tries. He is getting better with it but we are still working it. Leash techniques there was some great ones just none of which worked on Ace lol I am not sure if it was his breed or just his personality but he will just wait me out lol. Another thing that she told us about there was umbilical cord training which I do with Ace not all the time but when I find he is starting to act up we start doing the training again for about a week and then things go back to him being a well behaved dog for the most part. What umbilical cord training is that you tie the dog around your waist and he/she must go and do whatever it is your doing. When I do it with Ace I do it for about 1 hour inside the house and 1 hour outside. At training there were 3 other dogs Zora she is a very smart lab who Ace became best friends with, Miller he is a cookapoo thing very cute and very sweet Zora was sure he was a toy and last but not least was Logan he was a very shy very scared little Boston terrier at the start of the four weeks he wouldn’t go near another dog lol at the end of the four weeks he would walk up and kiss Ace. It was a wonderful experience and I can’t wait to start Advanced training there this week coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment